Owing your first home in a new country is one of the most satisfying accomplishments. Minimum down payment is 5%, which must come from you own sources. Anything >5% can be gifted or brought in from your home country. All lenders follow the CMHC New-to-Canada lending guidelines. If you are on a work permit, you will likely need 10% down.